I am a
Artboard 1 copy 3

Support for students in higher education

Support for students in higher education

There are various support services on offer to students in HE. Knowing your child has access to a community of trained professionals can put your mind at ease.

Academic support

Usually, students in HE are allocated a tutor. Tutors are often members of teaching staff who are there to provide academic guidance and support.
Meetings with a tutor are scheduled throughout the year, but students have the option to book a meeting with a tutor at their own request.

Students’ Union

The Students’ Union is an organisation in HEIs that is made up of current students. Student unions are on hand to offer advice and signpost to relevant services. In many cases, they should be the first port of call for students with any issues, queries or ideas.

As well as offering advice and signposting support, student unions are responsible for creating social events, clubs and societies.

Library services

Despite a move towards more digital content, such as online journals and books, libraries still play a key role in HEIs. Libraries provide a quiet place to study, a place to copy and scan documents, and staff who can support learners to improve their independent learning and research skills.

Employability and careers services

Employability and careers services are becoming increasingly popular in HE. They can offer a range of support, from CV writing and interview techniques, to highlighting activities and placements that will give your child an advantage in the job market.

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

HEIs have a range of support for students who have a disability, learning difficulty, mental health condition, or other long-term condition.

In many cases, students can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances to cover some of the extra costs they might have because of their condition.

More information can be found at gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas

In addition to DSAs, students with particular conditions might be eligible for other forms of support, such as car parking, or special exam provisions. To find out more about support at a specific HEI, we recommend contacting them directly.

Financial support

For students who are struggling financially, many HEIs have hardship funds available. In the case of a successful application, students could receive a loan or a grant. Bursaries are also available for students who may face more barriers to attending full-time education, enabling them to access university.


HE is a fantastic experience, but there are times when we could all use a little support. Should your child find themselves struggling for any reason, most institutions offer a counselling service, or will be able to signpost towards external services

Next: Parents Area (main page)

Previous: UCAS and the application process

nav close Created with Sketch.

Sign up for updates

…for relevant info and news
straight to your inbox.

Sign me up