- Pupils are tutored in writing accurate sentences
- The course content takes pupils through basic sentence structure, through to more complex sentences, focusing on knowledge and accuracy
- 10-week programme, 1 hour/week
- Targeted at Year 8 disadvantaged pupils who have academic ability but lack high-performance literacy skills
- The course can be delivered to children with SEND but it is not suitable for those with cognition and learning needs
- Pupils are tutored in small groups of three.
- The course is delivered by trained Student Ambassadors from NSSW partner institutions, supported NSSW Institutional Officers
- Up to 6 tutors per session, 18 pupils
- Eligibility: NSSW selected Attainment Raising schools
- Cost: There is no cost for eligible schools
- The course is delivered at school, at a mutually convenient time
- Selected Year 8 pupils must be available to attend sessions at this time, for the full 10 weeks
- Initially, one 10-week course is available per school
- Delivered before Easter
- Available dates and bookings through Institutional Officers
The expected outcome is that pupils gain proficiency in crafting accurate sentences, evidenced through pre- and post- course tasks.