Routes into STEM virtual experience provides an exciting opportunity to explore the various routes you can take towards your STEM career. This course is designed to enable young people to work through activities and projects at their own pace, tour a variety of institutions virtually and also have access to live career sessions and mentor panels with STEM employers.
This experience runs from 2 October 2023 until 2 August 2024 with live sessions running throughout the duration, over the half-term breaks, school holidays and after school
Whose it for?
Students in Year 9 or 10 / S3 or S4 / equivalent who are interested in exploring a career in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths). All you need is an interest in STEM and curiosity about the future. The course is open to all academic abilities.
- Approximately 20 hours of study virtually at a pace that suits you
- Exploring different Routes into a STEM career including College Courses, University Courses, and
- Apprenticeships and learning from industry what is involved in a STEM career as well as enhancing your skills
- Live interactive sessions over the half-term breaks, school holidays and after school, allowing you to listen and ask questions to STEM students and professionals
- Getting to work on a project set by a STEM company to look further at a career area that interests you
What do you get out of it?
- Find out about different Routes into a STEM career from industry experts, college and university leaders, as well as young people who are currently on that path
- Engage in projects and activities that will enhance your problem-solving, critical thinking, creativity and innovation skills and inspire you to find career motivation. Projects include a Biopharm challenge from GSK, a Design challenge from Balfour Beatty, an RSC Chemistry challenge and many more exciting challenges in all areas of STEM
- Create your own personalised action plan to see your own Route into STEM
- Learn about your career skills and how you could write about this in your CV/ Personal Statement or Application form
- Receive an Industrial Cadets Bronze Award showing all that you have achieved on the course
£75 – If cost is a barrier, fully funded places are available, please indicate your interest on the application