In this installment, Dan and Sophie look back at their time at uni, discussing how they made the decision to study at HE and what their concerns were. They look at some of the skills they developed along the way, they talk about why studying at HE is different to school, and what facilities and support is available to students.
This episode’s guest is recent graduate Jack Henderson. Discover why his journey towards HE was not the usual route, but why this worked out for him, what he learned along the way, and where he is now. You can see Jack’s ‘Draw my Life’ animation here.
Episode 2 – Skills for HE & Student Life
Want more like this? See all episodes here
- Seminar – small study groups usually lead by lecturers where you can discuss texts you’ve all read or other ideas. It’s not like a lesson.
- Lecture – often attended by lots of students, and in a lecture theatre with a screen at the front.
- Disabled Student – you will have heard that there is a Disabled Student Allowance that you can apply for, you could be eligible for this if you have a disability that affects your ability to study, the list includes the below but is not limited to it, you can find out more here: https://www.ucas.com/student-finance-england/disabled-students-allowances#eligibility
- learning difficulty, such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, or ADHD
- mental health condition, such as anxiety or depression
- physical disability, such as if you’re partially sighted or have to use crutches
- long-term health condition, such as cancer, chronic heart disease, or HIV
For the most current and comprehensive information about the Disabled Student Allowance, go to: https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowance-dsa
Links mentioned in the episode:
- For all the latest HE news and resources sign up to our e-updates in the top menu
- NSSW online Course Guide
- NSSW Career Finder Tool
- NSSW Clearing Guide
- NSSW Applicant Guide
- Level 3 Options Leaflet
- Qualification Chart
We also recommend the following sites for impartial and up-to-date information about student life:
- Prospects: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/
- The Student Room: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk
- The Office for Students: https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/for-students/
- Student Life: https://www.studentlife.org.uk/
- UCAS/Student Life: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/student-life
Sound credits – https://www.bensound.com/