Back to blog home

My Student Life Experience

By: TJ Harding

Hi, my name is TJ and I wanted to share my experience of being a student in higher education.

I am currently studying on a university-level course in Computing and Systems Development at City College Plymouth. I was born in Plymouth and have lived here all my life. I’m currently in the first year of my course, and have loved every minute of it so far!

At this stage of my education, I go into college 2 days each week for my lectures, and spend an additional 20 hours each week studying alone or with course mates. Being on a higher education course at City College gives me access to some of the facilities at the University of Plymouth, such as the library which I use on a regular basis.

The University of Plymouth library is packed full of books which really help me out with my coursework. Most of my work is done on a computer, and I have access to these at both places. I like spending time in the HE common room at City College as it’s a great way to meet new people, and play table tennis!

I am also a student ambassador. Becoming a student ambassador creates opportunities you would not get if you were just doing the studying side. An example of this would be meeting new people and helping them develop and learn new skills/experiences. It really helps build confidence while earning some extra money at the same time.

As an ambassador, I recently worked an Easter workshop where drama students would work alongside real actors in order to find out more about higher education and careers. This was amazing to see and be part of. The students got to ask loads of questions about how it is in the real world and not just in a classroom.

The night life is great in Plymouth! There are plenty of bars and pubs to socialise in and meet students from different courses and from other universities and colleges in the city.

If you are watching Liverpool vs Man Utd in a pub, for example, with other students, you are divided by what team you support, and not where or what you study.

It feels like Plymouth is growing and there are lots of things to do here. I am really excited about the new cinema and I can’t wait for that to open!

Want to know more about Student Life? 

How about courses at City College Plymouth?

nav close Created with Sketch.

Sign up for updates

…for relevant info and news
straight to your inbox.

Sign me up